Juvenile Consent Forms
A juvenile/minor individual assisting in a child care setting must complete a fingerprint and a consent form for background checks. This includes juveniles/minors who are volunteering for educational purposes or working as a temporary or part-time staff. Parents or guardians of a juvenile/minor choosing to assist or work in child care will need to schedule fingerprinting on behalf of the juvenile/minor and submit a background check conducted by the local Sherriff's Department.
|Warning: Each I-LEAD user needs to first create an account on Access Indiana. It is required to have their own personal email that isn’t shared with anyone else. I-LEAD accounts aren’t meant to be shared or gifted as they contain personal information & training unique to that user. Failure to follow this rule could result in intertwined accounts and incorrect data on consent forms that can't be reversed. Your Access Indiana email and I-LEAD email will always be the same email.|
Juvenile Criminal History in Indiana
Follow the simple steps outlined below to complete the fingerprinting & consent form process.
(Step 1) Obtaining fingerprints for a minor/juvenile:
- Using a computer, parent/guardian, needs to access the web browser, go to www.identogo.com and choose Indiana.
- If you do not have access to the internet, you may call IDENTOGO toll-free at (877) 472-6917 to
schedule an appointment. If you call, you will be asked the following questions instead of
completing these steps yourself.
- Click Online Scheduling and choose the language you wish to use for scheduling
(English or Spanish).
- Enter the minor's first and last name and click “go”.
- Choose the Agency Name as Criminal Record Review/Challenge and click “go”.
- Select the location where you want the juvenile/minor to be fingerprinted. Enter a zip code to get a list of locations in a specific area. Press “go”.
- Click on the words “Click to Schedule” across from the location you want, under the day
you wish the juvenile/minor to be fingerprinted. If you want a date further in the future, click the “Next Week>>” link to display more dates. Once you select the location/date combination,
select the time for the juvenile/minor appointment and click “go”.
- Complete the demographic information page. Required fields are indicated by a red
asterisk (*). When complete, click “Send Information”.
- Confirm the information. Follow the on screen directions to make any changes
necessary. Once you see the data is correct, click “Send Information”.
- Complete the payment process and click “Send Payment Information”. The cost is
- Print the confirmation page. If you provided an email address, you will receive an email
confirmation, as well.
- Make certain the juvenile/minor brings one o the following to the juvenile/minor fingerprinting appointment: Valid Driver License, Valid State Issued Identification Card, Valid Passport, Student ID with Picture and DOB, Work ID with Picture and DOB, Valid Alien ID card with Picture and DOB. If
the juvenile/minor does not have the above identification, you will need both a valid Birth Certificate and a Social Security Card.
- Arrive at the facility at the appointed date and time.
- The Enrollment Officer at the site will check the juvenile/minor ID, verify the juvenile/minor information, verify or collect payment, capture the juvenile/minor fingerprints, and submit the data. This normally takes less than five minutes.
- You will receive a signed receipt at the end of your fingerprinting session.
- All results will be processed and sent to the applicant/parent. L-1 is never in possession.
(Step 2) Obtaining a Limited Background Check through the Sheriff's Department:
(Step 3) Completing a Consent Form on I-LEAD with the results from Identogo and the Sheriff's Department:
Once the fingerprints and the background letter is provided by the Sheriff's Department, the parent or guardian should fill out the juvenile/minor consent form on the juvenile/minor I-LEAD account.
Please note that the steps are almost identical to the process of completing a consent form for an adult. However, on the Documentation section, there is an Upload button available where the child's background check from the Sheriff's department must be uploaded (Fig 1).
Upload Notes: To upload documents, please either scan into your computer or take photos on your smart phone, email to yourself, and save in documents or photos and upload it to the appropriate section. Make sure anything on the file can be easily ready. If the file size is too big for upload, you will receive an error message. Make sure images are saved in "jpeg" or "pdf" format, are less than 100KB in size, and scanned documents are less than 300 dpi.
The Submit section or last page of the consent form is also different than an adult's consent form. The parent or guardian will need to complete this section on the child's behalf to consent the release of the background information and approve their involvement with the child care program. The parent/guardian will need to sign on behalf of the juvenile/minor. (Fig. 2).
If the consent form is submitted successfully, a message will appear confirming the submission and you will be re-routed to the I-LEAD Dashboard. The "Begin Consent Form" will disappear and the counter will reset and say "Current consent form expires in 364 days on...[the next expiration date]".
Please complete the annually required consent form 90 days before it expires.
Upload Background Check Letter from Sherriff's Department (Fig. 1)
Parent/ Guardian Signature (Fig. 2)
Need Additional Help?
Please contact the Solution Center at 1-800-299-1627 or email the Solution Center.